Acai bowl - the best delicious morning breakfast!
It's been said many times by doctors in news, science books and TV that sugar is not healthy for your body. At all! But let's explain a bit what sugar is. Where we find it, what type of sugar are and some more additional important information you should know.
Added sugar is the single worst ingredient in the modern diet. Eating too much sugar is linked to weight gain and various diseases like obesity, type 2 diabetes and heart disease.
Type of sugar?
- Fructose: found in fruits and honey
- Galactose: found in milk and dairy products
- Glucose: found in honey, fruits and vegetables
- Lactose: found in milk, made from glucose and galactose
- Maltose: found in barley
- Sucrose: made up of glucose and fructose and found in plants
- Xylose: found in wood or straw
What is a safe amount of sugar to eat per day?
- Men - according to AHA guidelines, most men should consume no more than 150 discretionary calories of sugar per day. This is equivalent to 38 g or 9 teaspoons (tsp) of sugar.
- Women - should use no more than 100 discretionary calories of sugar per day. This is around 25 g or 6 tsp of sugar.
- Children - between the ages of 2 and 18 should consume no more than 25 g, or 6 tsp, of added sugar daily.
GURU MUSCLE - ACAI BOWL:
- 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup fresh strawberries
- 1/2 banana, sliced
- 1/4 cup almonds / crushed almond
- 1/2 tsp coconut shavings
- 1/2 tsp dark chocolate
- 1 tsp honey
- 1/4 cup granola
- Two packets (3.5 ounces or 100 grams each) frozen unsweetened açai berry purée
- 1 cup ice-cold water, more if necessary
- Place the strawberries, banana, coconut, yogurt, honey and acai puree in the blender.
- Blend until thoroughly combined and smooth.
- Pour the smoothie into 2 deep bowls.
- Top the bowl with as much (or as little) of your favourites such as granola, fresh (thinly sliced) fruit, chia seeds, and strawberries or nuts. I recommend drizzling on about a tablespoon of honey over everything. Enjoy immediately.